List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KFontCombo speed
From:       Malte Starostik <malte () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-25 12:50:54

On Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2001 13:32, Lars Knoll wrote:
> Still the performance problem remains. It just doesn't make sense if the
> app loads every font available. It can take ages over a slower network
> connection, or keep the XServer hanging for 20 seconds when you load a big
> unicode font. At the same time, it will take up rather significant amounts
> of ram in XServer and Client. A short calculation gives about 20k per 8bit
> font; up to 1.5M for a large Unicode font. About a third-half of this data
> is on the client and is often not shared between clients (depending on the
> XServer implementation). Now multiply that with the number of fonts I have
> on my machine: about 50-100.

> devices without adding too much in terms of useablity.
>
> All this is btw a rather small problem if you use Xft, but it is a huge one
> for old xlfd based fonts. So if you really want this feature enable it only
> when using Xft.
Would it be an option to disable it by default if Xft is not used and enable
it for Xft? Apparently I forgot to add a GUI for that option between the
current and last freezes :(

For anyone annoyed by this, kdeglobals (or a particular app's config file),
section [KDE], DisplayFontItems=true|false :)

--
Malte Starostik
PGP: 1024D/D2F3C787 [C138-2121-FAF3-410A-1C2A-27CD-5431-7745-D2F3-C787]