List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New kdesktop ?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-07-19 17:54:00

On Thursday 19 July 2001 20:41, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> On Thursday 19 July 2001 06:30 am, David Faure wrote:
> > >
> > > For some reason I can't resist to say "I told you". ;-)
> >
> > Funny, I was expecting this from Kurt rather ;-)
>
> Hehe.. I was waiting for somebody else to say it so I could keep the moral
> high-ground ;-P

:))

> > But I know I have been stupid about this issue in the past, no doubt there.
> > I wanted KDesktop to be consistent with Konqueror, now it's rather
> > consistent with Kicker (the merging falls into this area too). KDE, it's
> > all about consistency, the question is between what and what :-)
>
> Speaking of which, there is a new inconsistency with the new kdesktop.  Say
> you have a .desktop file that has a different filename than Name.  You wish
> to rename it so you right-click on the icon and select Rename.  It allows you
> to inplace rename the icon... but viola, the name doesn't change!  That's
> because you just renamed the file, not the Name field.  To rename an icon,
> now, you need to use the Properties dialog.  Fun fun fun.

Hehe, "told you so" - my turn :)
This indeed needs a fix. Can I count on you ? I'm finishing a KoRuler issue and after
I'm leaving for 5 days (I take advantage of this mail to request a diminution in the
number of private mails to me during that period ;). Thanks.

> Perhaps overriding 'renameSelectedItem' would work... we'll see.

Hmm, right, we might want to still rename the filename, not only the Name field,
for other apps that look into ~/Desktop - including Konqueror.
This means, however, we'll get a conflict if another file has that filename, even though
this isn't apparent to the user (due to a Name field in that other file). Well, I think we
can live with that, the global namespacing is big enough ;)
Then yes, doing this when being told of a rename should work...
I'd go for using KDirNotify's FileRenamed signal though [what's renameSelectedItem ?].