List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New kdesktop ?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-07-17 23:20:55

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 02:21, Richard Moore wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 July 2001 23:46, David Faure wrote:
> > I'd like to commit the redesigned kdesktop...
> > I know, the freeze.... but it works great here (been running it for 2
> > weeks), doesn't change that much (I mostly moved stuff around, and used the
> > tree-mode of the dirlister, nothing really fancy),
> > and is definitely an improvement, esp. for entreprises and distributors.
> > It allows to provide .desktop files and have them translated,
> > and it allows to put files in a global directory
> > (<prefix>/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop) so that they appear on each user's
> > desktop. This can be very helpful in a corporate context (links to websites
> > and apps useful to everyone), and for distributors (dynamic devices etc.)
> >
> > From memory, it doesn't introduce any new i18n string. Logical,
> > since I mostly moved stuff around, as I said ;)
> >
> > Go / no go ? :)
>
> My thought is probably no go, as you say we have a freeze and this sounds
> like a rather large change. Could you explain a bit more about what it does?

As I said, the only new feature is that it merges global dirs with local dirs,
using the code in KDirLister for that (already tested in konqueror's treeview).

And using the Name field in .desktop files (and directory's .directory files),
to get rid of my awful "rename the trash and home.desktop when changing
the language in kcontrol" hack. Of course this raises the problem of KDE-1-like
.desktop files with Name=Application in it... does anyone still have such a file
on his desktop ? With the KDE 2 move, one had to redo the .kdelnk files to
at least fix the icon, so hopefully the links have been re-created ? :)

The rest is basically, splitting the KDesktop class into two (creating an iconview
class, and making it a child widget of the KDesktop widget).

Initially I wanted to wait, but the current version is definitely stable, and
2.2 is slightly delayed (leaving a bit more time for finding the last bug :)