List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kasbar crashes X !
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-07-16 15:48:51

On Monday 16 July 2001 18:19, Richard Moore wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > After many days of investigation about why X crashed on me regularly, I have
> > come to the conclusion that it's kasbar that is responsible for it.
> > Reason:
> > * X crashes in XAAPolyFillRect - so, trying to fill a rectangle
> > * Playing with emulating return values in gdb led to X errors being displayed
> > by the kicker process
>
> AFAIK kasbar doesn't run in the kicker process - it's run by the
> extension proxy.

I think this is configurable. In kicker, any applet can run in the same process
or in another one. My config is actually "load startup config applets internal",
so kasbar was in the same process.

> > * From the beginning, I always say strange background colors in kasbar's items
> > (like, the same item being sometimes blue, sometimes red, etc.)
> >
> > So it looks like kasbar is using an uninitialized brush (or pixmap), which is the
> > reason for the strange colors and for the occasional X crash.
>
> This is down to the crappiness of KRootPixmap - I'll see what I can
> do. Are you using Xinerama or anything like that? What settings are
> you using for the kasbar extension (auto hide etc.)?

I'm not using Xinerama or anything like that (and the default settings for kasbar).
I keep seeing errors from KRootPixmap though.
Actually I'm running my KDesktop-TNG so I might have broken KRootPixmap...
But, hmm, I remember seeing the strange colors even when I was running
the normal KDesktop. Ok, so this is a KRootPixmap problem. I know nothing
about it - how does it work ? Why is it crappy ?

> I use kasbar all the time (as do quite a few people here I believe)
> but this is the only such report I've heard.
Someone confirmed already, on this list :}
Also, it's very hard to find the reason for a X crash. Anyone who experiences
X crashes, and doesn't do the long investigation I did (including running X in
gdb, from a remote machine), will have no way to track it down to the guilty application.