On Sunday 15 July 2001 07:27, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote: > On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote: > > If this plan goes out - then KDE 2.x life cycle will be a ... week! > > plus the year it already had. > > > And that leaves me with a big problem (well, at least at my company with > > my KDE Workstations)... > > Where is the problem? KDE 3.0 won't take longer than 2.3, and it will use > pretty much the same code. > > > As you know, dirk and harry (if I'm not mistaken) were working on the > > kjs engine and improving khtml. > > They'll still do that for KDE 3.0... > > > So, I really don't understand - whats the rush? > > - We don't want to break BC twice > - We don't want to be as far behind Qt as last time around > - We want to take advantage of Qt3's features (database integration, > i18n support etc.) > > KDE 1.x->2.0 was a near-rewrite. 2.x->3.0 won't be. > > > 2. You'll need to work with gcc 3.x - but as many people can tell you - > > the gcc 3.0 is not in great shape right now (try to compile KDE 2.2 on it > > and see if all the things work to see what I mean) > > This is true, but by the time we're done with 3.0 (I'd think November or > December), gcc 3.0.1 will have been out for at least a couple of weeks. According to the gcc website, gcc 3.0.1 is scheduled for early august. > > If you take a look at the stable branch in gcc cvs, you'll see the big > problems have been fixed already. > > > 3. Many people want to add their features which they worked on while KDE > > 2.2 is in feature freeze session (examples - Staikos on security, kentz > > on KDE installer, and the fonts installer [forgot the author name - > > sorry]. Telling them to drop everything they did while it was feature > > freeze because we're moving to 2.9/3.0 is definately not nice and > > definately unprofessional.. > > They don't need to drop it - there's no reason not to put it into the 3.0 > tree. In fact I'd be disappointed if it weren't there. > > > 2. GCC 3.0.1 - I know that most distributions want to use it, but 3.0 is > > not exactly a production stable, so all the distributions are trying to > > fix all the bugs until 3.0.1. My guess is both Mandrake and Redhat will > > be out with gcc 3.0.1, > > Not necessarily. By the time we release a new major version (we don't > break binary compatibility between minor releases), chances are we'll have > gcc 3.0.2 or 3.1. > > > 3. Thats only maybe - but I hope that the OpenSSL guys will finally > > release 1.0 version - each release they break BC... > > They'll continue to do that after 1.0. > > LLaP > bero Mathieu