List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do after 2.2?
From:       Peter Kelly <pmk () post ! com>
Date:       2001-07-15 9:54:04

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

>>Well, I hope the answers are convincing enough to point out that the pro
>>sides are much much more than the cons. In fact, I see no cons at _all_
>>

> I do, and here is my point...
>
> If this plan goes out - then KDE 2.x life cycle will be a ... week! (yes, 7
> days, no spelling mistake) - thats because the final TAG on KDE_2_2_RELEASE
> will be next monday, July 23rd, and after 2.2 will be out - there will be
> (maybe) 2.2.1 for the last bug fixes...
>
> And that leaves me with a big problem (well, at least at my company with my
> KDE Workstations)...
>
> As you know, dirk and harry (if I'm not mistaken) were working  on the kjs
> engine and improving khtml. Not doing the KDE 2.3 will simply leave me and
> many users stuck with Konqueror  which is currently not the most stable
> version that we know, unfinished KJS engine (with garbage collector if I
> understood dirk correctly), and with some others bugs that we still have (the
> printing problem that I mentioned in my previous email for example)...

I would certainly agree on this point.... I think having a 2.3 version
will be very important from the point of getting a stable and relatively
bug-free version of khtml. Right now there are over 700 open bug reports
for khtml and kjs combined. A few more months and a 2.3 release would
hopefully mean we can get the majority of issues sorted out.

Assuming there will be a considerable time before the 3.0 release, it
will mean that there will be a "stable" version of khtml out there that
people can use while bigger changes & feature additions are taking place
for 3.0. Assuming other apps take the same path, we can then take our
time with 3.0 and make any major architectural changes etc. there instead.

--
Peter Kelly
pmk@post.com