List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do after 2.2?
From:       Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-07-13 14:22:28

On Friday 13 July 2001 10:17, George Staikos wrote:
> On Friday 13 July 2001 09:51, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > > After all one of the reasons why there are so many GTK-applications is
> > > that they had a more or less stable API for a long time. If we make KDE
> > > 3.0 anything beyond something that is slightly more than a recompile
> > > then you shouldn't expect that the number of KDE-applications will grow
> > > significantly over the next 9-12 months which would really bad in
> > > effect and which would push us quite a bit back. Who wants to develop
> > > for a platform if it changes every few months?
> >
> > I never implied we should break BC whereever possible. :-)
>
>    Personally I'll be pretty pissed off if I have to recompile all my apps
> barely a year after 2.0 came out.  Yeah the new features are nice and all,
> but breaking applications is very unprofessional.

hence work on 2.3 and arround the new year start work on 2.9
my impression is 2.9 will have NO new features. it would only be a port to QT
3.0.  I think this is the best bet.  I am VERY concerned that the port from
QT 2.x to QT 3.x will introduce bugs.  Once 2.9 is relitilvely bug free we
start on 3.0.  I really dont think 2.9 should ever be packaged, it should
only be available via CVS.

Then about February or March we start on 3.0.  This will give application
developers almost 2 years of BC.

Lets take it slow, we are quite far ahead of any other options out there...

-ian reinhart geiser
--
Fortune for the day: