List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What to do after 2.2?
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2001-07-13 13:51:57

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 05:47:10PM +0200, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but last time I talked to core-developers the idea
> was that for KDE 3.0 we break BC only where really necessary. So
> essentially what you consider to be the 2.9-release would basically be the
> 3.0-release.

No, 2.9 would be a port to Qt3 without any changes of our own. 3.0 would be
a release with the necessarily changes. The idea here is to first port, then
change opposed to doing both at the same time. If the port happens to be a
matter of days, all the better.

> After all one of the reasons why there are so many GTK-applications is
> that they had a more or less stable API for a long time. If we make KDE
> 3.0 anything beyond something that is slightly more than a recompile then
> you shouldn't expect that the number of KDE-applications will grow
> significantly over the next 9-12 months which would really bad in effect
> and which would push us quite a bit back. Who wants to develop for a
> platform if it changes every few months?

I never implied we should break BC whereever possible. :-)

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 'I hate it when the villain quotes Shakespeare'
cap@capsi.com |         -- John Crichton, "Farscape"