List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: XFree86 Technical Conference needs *you*
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-07-11 21:20:26

Regarding xmlrpcd:
I've worked with XML-RPC, using it as a middle-layer for getting data from
a database to web pages.  So I'm familiar with XML-RPC as a protocol.  What I
really want to know about is how it's useful in KDE.

When would a person want to use it?  Most of what makes me enthusiastic about
xmlrpc doesn't seem to apply to it's use in KDE now, because the outside
world's access to one program means they have access to all programs.

The only thing I can think of is that a person could run an xmlrpc server on
a certain port, and forward accepted requests on to the xmlrpcd port.  So if
you want to be able to modify your KDE bookmarks remotely, for example, you
could have apache do web authentication, and write an xmlrpc server to take
certain calls and forward them to KDE.  Am I missing something?

I see a lot of potential here, but done in the way I described, it's far from
practical at this point.  However, if my imagination isn't too off base here,
we could get an authentication, SSL, and dedicated port cooperation going,
where you're able to update your work computer's bookmarks from home, or tell
your home computer to download the newest snapshot of XYZ while you're at
work, etc..  Could be pretty cool stuff.

So what's the word?

Thanks,
Ellis