List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: XFree86 Technical Conference needs *you*
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-07-07 3:26:17

From: http://www.usenix.org/events/xfree86/cfp/guidelines.html

Usenix is look for presentations containing something
	- new,
	- potentially useful,
	- not entirely obvious,
	- improvement over previous work,
	- usable by others,
	- and different from previously presented work.

So my question to all of you is which areas of KDE development over the last
year would be the most important to have at the conference, and which meet
the listed criteria?  They seem to be looking for something that will fit in
30 minutes.  Last year Kurt Granroth apparently gave a talk on KParts.

Topics that come to mind for me include: DCOP, xmlrpc, KDevelop, printing,
and kio.  Maybe something about i18n too?
Great things that don't seem like they fit the criteria include koffice,
improved startup notification (thanks Lubos and everyone else who worked on
that!), konqueror, kmail, kpanel, anti-aliased fonts.
However, if an "overview-of-KDE-developments-on-the-desktop" is called for,
we could show or talk about the theming engine, the kicker applets,
konqueror, koffice, etc..

At the moment, inter-process communication or kdevelop seem like the
most relevant candidates to me.

Furthermore, they will consider suggestions for half-day and day-long
tutorials.  Something like RAD w/ KDevelop could be really nice if Gideon is
stable by November...

Any thoughts?  A proposal has to be in by the 13th (yes, Friday the
Thirteenth), and I've got a busy week ahead of me, so the sooner I can start
drafting this up, the better. ;)

Regards,
Ellis