List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Feature request for KIOSlave architecture
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2001-07-01 18:51:23

Please CC answers to Josef.Weidendorfer@gmx.de

Bye
Alex

---------  Forwarded Message  ----------
Subject: Feature request for KIOSlave architecture
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 22:18:49 +0200
From: Josef.Weidendorfer@gmx.de
To: Alexander Neundorf <alexander.neundorf@rz.tu-ilmenau.de>

Hi Alexander,

could you please forward this question to the KDE (core) devel list
and/or anwser the question itself
if you have an answer (as I'm not subscribed at the moment) ?

Last days I tried to do an KIOSlave for netplan, a simple server
delivered with plan (an old  PIM
client using Motif...). This slave simply should deliver VCalendar
files, so KOrganizer can work with
the netplan server. This way, groupware functions are easy possible (I
know, the "KDE PIM people"
have a better architecture in mind, but meanwhile...).

If another person adds an PIM event, my (connection-oriented) TCP-Slave
gets a message, but there
seems to be no possibility to send this (pseudo-)file change to the
application.
Testing the Samba IOSlave I noticed that file
changes/additions/deletions aren't updated in
Konqueror file views in contrast to local files.
Obviously, this natural functionality, that IOSlaves can signal
file/directory changes, is not
in place. IMHO, this should be changed. Is this already planned  for KDE
3 ?

At the moment, KDirLister requests KDirWatch for local files. This
should be changed:
KDirWatch should forward the "auto-update request" for a directory to
the IOSlave, if the IOSlave
can support this. KDirWatch requests should be done in kio_file. Thus,
my original problem is easy:
my netplan-IOSlave simply supports auto-updates, and signals changes to
the application via KDirLister.
KOrganizer has to be changed to look for changes and reloads the file...

Opinions?
Any BC issues? Perhaps it's even possible to change it in KDE 2.3 ?

Josef Weidendorfer