List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: NEW Proxy config dialog [Correction: new links :)]
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-01 14:37:04

On Sunday 01 July 2001 08:10, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 04:14:50PM -0400, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here is the new proxy config dialog I have been promising for a while
> > now. It is fully functional and with the exception of few and perhaps
> > annoying cosmetic bugs which can be worked out later :)  It has quite few
> > features that are not present in the current dialog.  It also fixes the
> > infamously missing config option for setting up HTTPS proxy servers.  The
> > intention of me providing it now is to have people try it and give me
> > feedback.  It probably would not be in the 2.2 release since it contains
> > many new messages etc... etc... Anyways, I appreciate any feedback
> > specially from those using the auto discover mode (Malte will also
> > appreciate this as well :) )
>
> Looks nice, but please set the default proxy port to 3128, this is the
> default for proxies, not 8080.

No it is not.  3128 is specific to Squid Proxy Server which happens to be a
caching proxy, but that does not make it the default.  The normal default
port used in most proxy servers is 8080 which is the alternate HTTP port
and 8081 for transparent proxy.  Check out your /etc/services file...

Regards,
Dawit A.