List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: This Week's CVS issues - week 26
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-30 10:15:51

Martijn Klingens wrote:

> On Saturday 30 June 2001 10:37, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > a) please test this patch:
> >
> [ ... ]
> >
> > Please give this a test. I think we really need those fixes in 2.2 and I
> > would like to apply it if that is being agreed on.
>
> A number of issues regarding this patch:
> 1. Is the warning about failed mouse grabs in the new KWin decos that I
> reported to you yesterday gone now? I don't that it looks very professional
> to have that warning, even though it seems to be harmless here.
>
> 2. The KWin tooltips are not behaviour compatible with other tooltips. In
> KWin each button has its own timeout before the tooltip appears. In a
> standard Qt app, if one widget shows a tooltip and you mouse the mouse to an
> adjacent widget that also has a tooltip, the new tooltip is immediately
> shown. In your KWin patch the tooltip is hidden instead and only shown if the
> timeout is elapsed. Personally I find this less intuitive, though I don't
> think this is a show-stopper for putting this in CVS.

1. and 2. can get fixed if it's in CVS. Gallium and I are exchanging
patches back and forth but we now decided to ask so we can put this in
and then fix up these minor issues. 1) is probably caused by the same
workaround used in kicker for the tooltips. The patch doesn't use
QToolTip directly as it's causing troubles due to its eventFilter, so we
re-build the ToolTip so it doesn't have this effect. I'm actually also
not sure if that warning is really caused by the patch.

> 3. You added a new groupbox to the Look&Feel->Style module in KControl with
> one checkbox and 3 radio buttons. Since you can't possibly select something
> from the radio buttons if the checkbox is checked and vice versa, I'd make
> that first option part of the same (radio)buttongroup. That looks more like
> what it actually means IMO. Internally you could always write a completely
> different value to KConfig if the user selects the first option.
See Oswalds mail. the radiobuttons are exclusive while the checkbox
disables tooltips generally, hence the function of all the radiobuttons.
But you need to have one option the default if the user enables tooltips
(one of the radio button options).

> 4. (This one is not really introduced by your patch, but not fixed either.) I
> get a vertical scrollbar in the Style module because there are so many
> options there. Is there a way to fix this? Maybe you can split the module in
> two tabs, a 'Style' or 'General' tab with the style selector and the 'other
> settings for drawing' groupbox. And a second tab 'Effects' or 'Advanced' with
> the various effects we have now for menus, toolbars, tooltips and combo
> boxes. Whatever you choose, please take a look at this, this module is a bit
> overwhelming now ;-)
Yes, but this can't be changed right now. The style and theming stuff is
a general issue for 2.3 so we get this mess fixed up.

> Apart from these issue: If you can solve at least #1, and preferably the
> others as well, please commit if the translators are ok with your new
> strings. The patch itself seems to work fine.

Thomas Diehl agreed on the strings already.
I'll wait for Waldo's approval though anyway, but nice to have someone
really test it.

Ralf

> Martijn

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org