List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n confused + ftp auth problem
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-27 14:30:23

Hi Antonio,

On Tuesday 26 June 2001 19:39, Antonio Larrosa Jiménez wrote:
> Also, going to
> ftp://antonio@localhost
> while using wwwoffle shows me the following message:
> "Your request for the URL
> ftp://localhost/
> specified the username antonio but no password."

This seems to be a problem with the wwwoffle proxy server. The same thing
works correctly with the Squid proxy for example.  Any HTTP based proxy server
is supposed  to return a 407 If password is required but missing!!  This will cause
the client to prompt you.  Is there an option to enable such feature for the server,
i.e. return a 407 if login information is requested by the remote FTP server ?

> It seems it thinks that there's no need for a password and then I'm not
> asked for one.

Right, which is what the server is supposed to do.  Remember it is the proxy server
that is talking to the remote machine and not kio_http itself ; so the proxy server
should return a 407 under such circumstances to the client so that we can take the
appropriate action.  Otherwise, a hack will be required to accomodate such broken
implementation and I am not too eager to add such workarounds if other solutions
can be found :)

> Note that disabling proxy makes it work.
> Also note what seems to be a second bug: I have "No proxy" for localhost
> so it shouldn't use the proxy anyway, isn't it ?

Is this current CVS version ? If so indeed this is a bug. Perhaps the revmatch
command in KProtocolManager does not do the proper reverse matching if a '.'
is missing.  I will look into this when I test my new config dialog for setting up
proxy information...

Regards,
Dawit A.