List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SMB ioslave is half functioning (not SMBRO)
From:       Wynn Wilkes <wynnw () calderasystems ! com>
Date:       2001-06-25 23:09:52

On Friday 22 June 2001 08:45 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2001 17:36, Wynn Wilkes wrote:
> > Unfortunately, redirection
> > doesn't work too well in the ioslave framework.
>
> Doesn't it ? I thought it worked nicely, both for listDir() and get().
> Ah, it's not implemented for put(), I realize....
Sorry, I made a flippant remark without clarifying.  I meant it in the
context of some problems we found while writing the ioslave and samba.  The
problems are more of a result of SMB being the uhhhh..."special" protocol it
is.

For example, the libsmbclient has the design of smb://hostname/share or
smb://workgroup.  This is a little tricky when you're browsing from the top
level.  smb:// shows all the available workgroups.  You can then enter
smb://Workgroup to see the available hosts in that workgroup.  then you can
go to smb://workgroup/host which we redirect to smb://host since you are now
authenticated to that host and workgroup.  This messes up the tree views in
konq.  Since we go from smb:// to smb://workgroup to smb://workgroup/host/ to
smb://workgroup/host/share which we redirect to smb://host/share, the tree
view doesn't quite understand how to handle it.

If someone has a default workgroup that gets put in the sidebar, this isn't a
problem.  It's just a problem with the treeviews when the top level is smb://

The actual redirection works fine...we didn't find any problems with that.
The ioslave framework is very nice in my opinion.

I'm not sure what the _right_ thing to do is at this time, but since we
missed 2.2 because of the delays with the release of libsmbclient we'll have
plenty of time to get a good release for 2.3.

Wynn