List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: *Nasty* memory leakage in kdesktop
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-22 20:36:24

On Friday 22 June 2001 12:56 pm, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Friday, 22. June 2001 17:59, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > I have recently rediscovered the multiple wallpapers feature of kdesktop.
> > I have a list of about 20 wallpapers that I switch between every 3
> > minutes. It works great with only one exception -- it leaks memory like a
> > sieve!
>
> Hmm, the laptop runs since three days with a different desktopgirl every 20
> minutes and this is kdesktop:
> 1126 coolo      9   0 11912  11M  9784 S     0.0  4.6   1:08 kdeinit
>
> And X has quite normal 21 MB. I will shorten the update time for giving
> better numbers. But I think I would have noticed if it would leak as you
> describe.

Right, I would imagine that quite a few people use the multiple desktops.

I tried upping the time to every 20 minutes but it still happened.  Mind you,
kdesktop itself doesn't get any bigger.. X does.  The only reason I suspect
that it's kdesktop doing it is because every time the wallpaper changes, the
RSS size of X goes up *exactly* 1.54M

Hmm.. I wonder if this has anything to do with scaled pixmaps...
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop