List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Upcoming 2.2 release schedule, bickering and bugs
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2001-06-22 18:09:35

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Thomas Diehl wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:09:38 +0200 (CEST), Harri Porten wrote:
>
> >I know everybody is working very hard but I have one comment: Waldo has
> >posted the release schedule a loooong time ago. Many developers (including
> >me) have tried to adjust to that (including the inevitable small delays)
> >by making realistic goals in terms of planned features. Now, some other
> >parts of the project are lagging behind and the respective maintainers ask
> >for further delays. Technical or spare-time problems ?
> >Misjudgement of the required amount of work ? Unrealistic target, i.e. too
> >many features at once ? I don't know. Certainly different in each case.
>
> Just a word on translations: Thanks to the great work of our brand new
> proof-reading team, also to a 1900+ messagess PO file that turned up
> the last minute, and to quite a few new app strings (requested by
> developers) things are in worse shape at our end now than they were in
> former releases at this point. This is no complaint. It's great that
> all those misspelled strings were corrected and that others became
> translatable which weren't before but now many teams could just use
> some extra time to get this stuff translated. None of these points was
> really foreseeable when the release plan was posted (except maybe
> developers requesting new strings;-).

But that isn't a showstopper for a beta release, is it? I mean we can
live with some untranslated messages in a beta.

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel:  +264 - 61 - 249249
P.O.Box 30955                                    Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Windhoek                                                      uwe@kde.org
Republic of Namibia                                    http://www.kde.org