List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SOAP <-> DCOP
From:       Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-22 16:43:48

On Friday June 22, 2001 1:02 pm, aleXXX wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2001 16:47, David Faure wrote:
> > On Friday 22 June 2001 17:40, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > > would you link to it if there was a qt-nows version that just supported
> > > tools, event loops, network etc., but didn't include any graphics stuff
> > > like widgets, pixmaps, painters? It would be quite a small lib.
> >
> > A qt-core library with no graphical stuff and no need for a display to
> > attach to, is what I was dreaming of, back when I was writing ktalkd :)
> > I think it would be a good thing to do.
>
> I think the same :-)
> Maybe even without signals and slots, only the strings, lists, and so on.
> And if I link a binary currently to libqtutil.so according to ldd the whole
> libqt.so is linked also, so this one doesn't help.

i spoke to a few troll tech guys about this at LWE and CeBit. They stated
there there alot of design issues with splitting up the libraries as such.

if this is no-longer the case or if there is enough of a need i am all for a
libqtutil.  the largest issue would be if libqtutil would be stand alone,
like qtmt or would i need to have to link applications against both -lqt and
-lqtutil?

Forgiveme for not completely understanding the process, but I for one am a
big fan of being able to use the nongui elelments of QT.

QSocket and QXML are very handy in my modeling and simulation work when
building distributed models.  It is just currently i have to have QT
installed on all of my nodes, wasteing alot of memory.

cheers
-ian reinhart geiser

--
Fortune for the day: