List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Upcoming 2.2 release schedule, bickering and bugs)
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-22 8:26:48

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 June 2001 11:11 pm, George Staikos wrote:
> >    Finally, on a related note pertaining to the future, I think we should
> > start making more detailed release plans including target feature lists.  I
> > know that many [perhaps most] features develop closer to the middle or end
> > of the development schedule, but I think it would help give us a better
> > picture of where each release is going and what should be focussed on.
> > People who work on various components always have ideas on where things
> > should go and can at least give some input on what should be targetted for
> > an upcoming release.
>
> I support that idea. It should be clear of course that only those who are
> actually planning to implement the feature can add it to a target list.
I think a good start would be to re-design the jobs page and turn that
into an actual feature plan/implementation plan page.
Clear goals at the beginning of a release schedule is what works out as
everyone knows what to do and how much time there is. There are also
very often things that get volunteers that may be on the jobs page but
those AFAIK don't get proper treatment there on the backside, so the
question comes up how useful that page is now and how much of it is
already done.

As a sidenote, one open job for a really needed app inside KDE is a
theme designer. I'd like to give this a go, yet I know that after
LinuxTag I will *have* to turn to learning for my exams, so if I started
it, I wouldn't get ready before 2.3 is out, and if I take my focus more
on that app, Martin and others will for my good temporarily disable my
account so I actually can let loose of my KDE addiction...hmpf :)

Anyway, I think there are some newbie programmers that might want to
help out with that one and give it a go under my lead if they wish.
DavidA on #kde wants to program inside the KDE core stuff, Carsten may
want to participate as well as well as I think others would love to be
part of that. Maybe we can work it out nevertheless for 2.3 ? :))

Ralf
--
KDE 2 - Trust I seek and I find in You,
everyday for a something new,

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org