List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Upcoming 2.2 release schedule, bickering and bugs
From:       Harri Porten <porten () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-06-21 22:50:31

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, George Staikos wrote:

> On Thursday 21 June 2001 17:10, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
>
> > I also think that it would be best to stick to the release schedule. I
> > think the best way to ensure that we get quality releases is to tell every
>
>    And my concern is that there is not much quality in this current release
> as it stands right now.

That's what the beta testing period is for.

> > developer when we're going to release the next version. Then everybody can
> > adjust his work to this timespan, and if everybody takes some care, the
> > release will be stable in time.
>
>     Not everyone can do that.  We're not all in high school, unemployed, or
> employed to work on KDE you know....

Then it will take longer. We already appreciate your work a lot. Take your
time, even "skip" a release - if you want - by disabling something for one
release.

> > And even if some feature doesn't get included in this release, the frequent
> > releases guarantee that you will have it in the next release, which is
> > "pretty soon" anyway. Release early, release often.
>
>   Then why is code that I had working before 2.0 was released _still_ not
> making it into 2.2, over a year later?

I don't know. Why ?

>    We're releasing too early, too often.  I know many people who use KDE now,
> but few who even use 2.1.2.  Most people don't even upgrade their software as
> fast as KDE releases are coming out.  At least not in the world I live in.

Offering new versions frequently increases the likelyhood that somebody
updating at a random point in time once a year will have an up-to-date
version.

Harri.