List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Upcoming 2.2 release schedule, bickering and bugs
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () mountlinux ! com>
Date:       2001-06-21 6:52:31

hi..

>   - We have issues with kio_smtp and kio_pop3 licencing, if I'm not
> mistaken. These are critical components and must be fixed.
>   - kio_smtp _really_ needs to be implemented in KMail.  I know that Aaron
> is working on this and he _must_ need more time.  We need to support SMTP
> Auth and it would be very nice to see SSL and TLS support too.  Also, we
> all know that having two copies of the same code, one of which is
> non-reusable, is a waste of effort.

i will echo michael's and don's sentiment on this one: kmail works rather
well right now and the only feature that is quite painful for some not to
have is smtp auth (others like graceful handling of large message sizes and
better msg flagging aren't standing in the way of usage, just convenience).
once kio_smtp is in kmail i see no need to keep kmail's existing smtp code
around. however, if we are going to aim to dump that much well working code i
want to be able to test kmail w/kio_smtp rigorously. this could end up
revealing bugs that could take some time to fix. or it might not =)

in the meantime, i will be maintaining the kio_smtp support as a patch to
CVS. anyone who needs it will be able to get it and apply it. at a point its
been tested to be safe and sound and CVS becomes unfrozen again it will get
committed. postponing a release and holding up CVS for this feature which
will result in a fairly substantial change to the details of how kmail sends
email would be, IMO, folly. it is the sort of change that should go in at the
begining of a dev cycle, e.g. early in 2.3, and not at the end of one, even
if that end is delayed. with the current time line, i should have enough time
to both get kio_smtp in (almost done actually), fix up kio_smtp where/if
necessary, and test test test it. (i think Hetz will be more than happy to
help me with the latter =)

i really can't comment on the other issues, but that's my CA$0.02 on kmail
and kio_smtp. =)

--
Aaron Seigo