List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KWin locks KDE with Alt+Tab
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-06-18 20:21:41

On Monday 18 June 2001 21:42, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 18 June 2001 11:48 am, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > >
> > > No, it isn't. tried nearly everything -- no way out. I wonder
> > > why nobody niticed that before..
> >
> > Try using Alt-Tab or Ctrl-Tab again, usually that helps.
> >
> > I started looking into it, it's some problems with kglobalaccel. I'll try
> > to fix it.
> >
> > The timing issue doesn't show up on fast machine with low load.

Ok, I commited a fix to kdelibs/kdecore/kglobalaccel.cpp and to
kdebase/kwin/...

Seems to work fine, but will surely require more intensive testing to be sure
the lock is gone.

I knew why I was scared when I saw KGlobalAccel being used for Alt-Tab. There
was indeed a reason why I didn't do it in the first place.

> Didn't I mail you about something similar about a month ago or so? We also
> have a bunch of KDE bugreports about this. (See e.g.
> http://bugs.kde.org/db/15/15500.html) Do you think that this could explain
> those as well, or is this clearly something that got introduced recently?

I can't tell, really. The problems with kglobalaccel and the way it was used
in kwin could be responsible for quite some lockups.

> I've heared of spurious lock-up problems since the start of KDE 2 (some
> where even reported against 1.9x I believe) and all seemed to be very hard
> to reproduce. Some people reported it as related to APM. It's a hard to
> pinpoint it but there certainly is a problem and it is KDE 2 related cause
> most reports mentioned that it didn't happen with either KDE 1 or GNOME.

weird, really.  I _never_ had such a lock-up on my machine, unfortunately.

Matthias