List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startup notification
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-15 18:44:04

On Friday 15 June 2001 04:11 am, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Friday 15 June 2001 11:42, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > Why ? all you need to know is that the application is started. you don't
> > need 30 seconds to realize that, even if you're thinking very slow.
>
> That's probably only true for us. Newbies will almost certainly think
> something went wrong if the notification disappears, but the app doesn't
> appear and thus they may very well try to start the app again.
>
> They'll learn quick enough, so I'm not sure if a 30 sec timeout is needed.
> After all, if notification was flawless, it would never hit the timeout
> anyway, regardless of whether an app needs 1 or 100 seconds to start (and
> show its first window!). But I fear that's impossible to achieve on
> Unix/X11.

I would leave the 30 seconds for the beta. That way problems with the
notification not going away will become very appearant and we can fix them.
Once it works properly we can see again whether 30 seconds is too long or
whether it is a non-issue by that time.

Don't fix the symptoms before fixing the cause.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com