List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: X Keymap falsely reporting a Meta key
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2001-06-14 4:32:52

On ?etrtek 14. junij 2001 05:11, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> The other way of doing is to reduce all possibilities to the greatest
> common denominator, which is, with a bit of luck, the 102 keyboard
> model and, no matter what X says about its configured keyb model,
> compose from there. But of course, this would automatically exclude
> the possibility of using a Meta key.

Yes, and it's likely you don't have that luck either. I still find a
bunch of 101 keyboards in use. Btw, does anyone know how japanese
keyboard lucks like? XFree86 has configuration for pc98, but I have no
idea what that is.

> Hmm... another task for the kpersonalizer... This matter needs more
> investigation. Could it be there something like a keyboard symbol
> scanner?

IMHO this shouldn't go into kpersonalizer. I think the sensible thing
to do is to asume that people have configured XFree86 correctly and
that information is valid. It's also not userfriendly if you must
answer the same question several times.

I think that the problem Antonio had can be blamed on XFree86 bug.

Regards,

	Marko

P.S: Do configuration files for all X servers look the same?