List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startup notification
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-06-12 11:27:33

Dne út 12. červen 2001 11:51 Lubos Lunak napsal(a):

> Dne út 12. červen 2001 10:43 Dirk Mueller napsal(a):
> > Moin Lubos!
> >
> > > editor ... I mean OS ... well, xemacs doesn't work right now, it will
> > > need a small KRun::runCommand() change and a .desktop file saying
> > > X-KDE-WMClass=emacs - hopefully it will be ok this evening.
> >
> > do you mean we have to install a .desktop file for each and every broken
> > application out there ?
>
>  No. If KRun::runCommand() doesn't find a matching .desktop file, it will
> be pesimistic, assume the worst and do just like the old implementation did
> ( i.e. it won't work very well, start-on-desktop won't work at all, and the
> startup notification will go away rather too soon than too late ). So if
> you add the .desktop file, you'll just help it work better ( i.e. correctly
> ), but it will work somehow even without it.
>

>> This is inacceptable. People will use applications we never hear about, and
>> if they have a broken startup notification for those applications then its
>> us who are screwed.

>>The old behaviour was very conservative because it only handled apps where
>> we _knew_ it would work. And if it didn't, it killed all startup
>> notification on the next unmatched WindowMap notify event. This might not
>> be the perfect solution, but from a users perspective it worked quite well.

 Actually, now that I think of it, it will be probably better if
KRun::runCommand() ( and therefore minicli ) will simply ignore things for
which it cannot find the .desktop file and do no startup notification for
them at all, so apps which don't show any window won't get show the busy
cursor, which would time out anyway.
 This is the way it was before, and given the number of complains now and
before, people would complain more if they would get one long startup
notification for one app instead of not getting it at all for half their
apps. Apps which should get start notification will simply have to have a
matching .desktop file somewhere.

 Lubos Lunak
--
 l.lunak@email.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org