List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startup notification
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-12 8:43:12

Moin Lubos!

> editor ... I mean OS ... well, xemacs doesn't work right now, it will need a
> small KRun::runCommand() change and a .desktop file saying
> X-KDE-WMClass=emacs - hopefully it will be ok this evening.

do you mean we have to install a .desktop file for each and every broken
application out there ?

This is inacceptable. People will use applications we never hear about, and
if they have a broken startup notification for those applications then its
us who are screwed.

The old behaviour was very conservative because it only handled apps where
we _knew_ it would work. And if it didn't, it killed all startup
notification on the next unmatched WindowMap notify event. This might not be
the perfect solution, but from a users perspective it worked quite well.

Dirk