List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: global shortcuts
From:       Dirk Mueller <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-06-11 22:22:00

Moin Ellis!

> 	     scheme. As an anecdotal example: I sat my aunt (an MS-Windows
> 	     user at work) down at my linux box and asked her to try out the
> 	     keybindings for while (after I briefly explained them).  She
> 	     exclaimed, "Now that makes sense to me!". Ctrl+Escape closes a
> 	     document, Alt+Escape closes a program, Meta+Escape closes KDE.
> 	     Ctrl for documents, Alt for programs, and Meta for KDE stuff.
> 	     Compare this to Ctrl+W, Alt+F4, and Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

Okay, just think about that its very likely that people will confuse these
shema and will accidently close KDE when they want to close an application
or will accidently close their document when they wanted to shutdown KDE
etc.

I agree that the new keybindings are well-thought, but we cannot change the
default. All we can do is propose the new bindings in KPersonalizer etc and
suggest it to the user after this brief explanation you gave above.

Dirk