List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: global shortcuts
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-06-11 19:52:28

On Monday 11 June 2001 18:27, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > I'm not so sure if it is a good idea to change (probably well-known, at
> > least by us) keybindings, but on the other hand I like the new 4-modifier
>
> It would be a really bad idea! The current keybindings have been chosen
> because many of them have become defacto-standards on various
> desktop-OSes (not only Windows). It's _no_ option to go for us to use a
> cryptic emacs-like niche-solution which ignores existing standards
> by default if we want to make KDE a popular desktop environment.

Agreed totally, we did not spent weeks creating these shortcuts because it
was fun ;)
Check the kde-look archives if you want to find out what I mean.

btw, what is a meta-key anyway?  It only does alt here...

Functions like "Windows->window close (ALL)" seem to ignore the concepts we
have accepted over the time, most of them with reason!
Things like "Clipboard->show klipper popupmenu" can't work without some work
on klipper itself, seems like a not-to-well-thought about action.

Please revert and take the time to talk about this stuff.

ps. could you tell me how to get my window-moving and window-resizing back
using my alt-key?

--
Thomas Zander