List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Embrace and extend.. or something like that..
From:       Christian A =?iso-8859-1?q?Str=F8mmen=20=5BNumber1=2FNumeroUno=5D?= <number1 () kde
Date:       2001-06-08 1:16:05

After discussing XP with a fellow KDE'r on irc today a list has been made
containing some of the good and usefull features in XP that we feel could be
a nice addition to KDE.

Any comments on this?

<XP FEATURES>
Luna GUI: cool, nice effects (shading, fading, transparency, soft-scrolling)
Filemanager:
	- thumbnails for folder contents (preview for 4 files inside the folder)
	- you can configure a pixmap for a folder to be shown in the thumbnail view!
	- right-click file/folder -> Encrypt...
	- View-mode
		Tiles: Iconview + extended information below filename (mimetype,
		file-size) (icon left, information right, information in light-gray)
		Detail view: configurable! (Artist, Album, Dimensions, Company,
		Description, Permissions..., Owner, Author, Copyright, Bitrate, Sample
		size, Framerate, ...) Order of those are also configurable
	- context-menu duplicated in "side-bar", items as "Tasks":
		Nothing selected: -> Folder tasks ("Publish this folder on the web")
		File selected   : -> Rename/Move/Copy/Publish/Email/Print this file, Throw
		this file away
		In "My Pictures" folder: "Picture Tasks" -> Get pictures from
		camera/scanner, Order prints from the internet, Print pictures
		Picture/Music Tasks additionally! to normal Tasks.
	- All those items NOT duplicated in the menubar -> light menubar
	- Sidebar in filedialog: History, Desktop, My Documents, My Computer, My
	network places ( == listing of all reachable computers)
	- One-click downloading of files into "Download" directory
Other:
	- Start-Menu is opened upon first start
	- Taskmanager (== ksysguard):
		differentiation between Applications and Processes (all)
		also available:
		resource usage, network throughput and logged in users!
		(connect/disconnect/log off/remote control/send message)
	- implementation details:
		everything delayed (aboutToShow(), etc.) including konq-combo, tabs in
		dialogs!  (all tabs should be loaded before the dialog is shown, so
		switching between tabs is fast and so on)
	- Power saving profiles (Home/Office Desktop, Laptop, Presentation, Always
	on, ...)
	- Wordpad: zooming into document with Ctrl-wheelscroll (incredibly fast :-O )
	- "Task not responding" in titlebar -> right-click: close: "Do you want to
	kill the dead thing?"
	- On Links, show Tooltip with real location (desktop, filemanager, ...)
	- Click-sound in konq/kdesktop!
	- After installation (== new .desktop files installed), start-menu says "New
	program(s) installed". The way to the programs is highlighted (every folder)
</XP FEATURES>

<Some other stuff>
	- Devices, mountpoints [ioslaves]: detection of availability -> adding to
	konqueror location bar, kfilecombo?
	- New... "Folder, Link" -> Separator, -> other templates
	- klick on konq selection, khtml selection
	- Verbs in Tooltips! Not "New folder", but "Create new folder"!
</Some other stuff>

This isn't stuff that we _have to_ implement.. This is just stuff that caught
our eyes when using XP, features that we found interesting or worthwhile to
copy...

So.. any comments?

--
\ Christian A Strømmen /