List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kio_http, persistent connections
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-04 18:26:58

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001, Lars Knoll wrote:

> 2 if I remember the http specs correctly. I'm pretty sure 4 are not allowed.
> This makes it possible to already retrieve style sheets and images while the
> main page is still loading.

Okay. it might be that the servers are punishing us because we open so many
connections ;-)

the limit can be reduced immediately. however, the real solution seems to be
some pipelining support, at least for kio_http. Still, with our relatively
simple architecture this will introduce a lot of overhead, although it could
be useful for other protocols as well..

> > > when kio_http fires off what appears to be an unlimited number of
> > > connections.
> > unlimited number ? huh?? that is a bug then.
> As said above, it should be maximal two connections to the same server.

per browser window ? per user ? per session ? per host ?

the first one would be relatively simple to do.

> > > I think that the best solution would simply be to ensure that no
> > > more than 4 connections are made to one host.
> > why ?
> Because of the http specs? Because opening 20 connections to one host
> thrashes the server if every client does it.

Bah. there are still people out there using stoneage pre-forking servers
like apache ? ;)

Dirk