List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Proposed kwin default plugin changes
From:       Karol Szwed <kszwed () latcs2 ! cs ! latrobe ! EDU ! AU>
Date:       2001-06-04 14:21:36

Hi all,

I've created a new kwin default kwin style which looks like the old
one but removes all flicker and adds configurable features like button
position selection, and titlebar height etc. Before I commit this however,
I propose to change the handling of the default kwin plugin to become a
"standard" plugin, which is not linked to kwin directly as the
current one is now, but is opened via dlopen() like all the others.

Similarly, moving the default from kwin/default to
kwin/clients/default would make more sense IMHO.

The new default style uses the new kwin plugin interface with init(),
reset() etc, and hence handles resources correctly. The default style
at the moment does not free its resources correctly, as it uses the
old style plugin interface.

I have already created a modified plugins.cpp which handles itself
gracefully when a requested plugin is not found, and falls back to the
default plugin when all else fails. (If the default plugin is not found,
kwin exits gracefully with an error message). I've tested this for some
time and found it very stable without having kwin linked to any style
at compile time.

Would anyone have any objections to me changing this?

I realise that kwin is an integral part of the desktop, and hence
wanted to ensure any changes are given the all clear by the experts. :)

Cheers,

gallium