Hi, it's friday again and the weekend ahead for even more hacking - there's holidays in Germany in large parts on monday. Now, there's only a small number of things this week, feel free to comment: a) kmail: I've discussed some ideas on the kmail mailinglist the last days for changing the user interface handling of the listviews. Unfortunately, my suggestion to add columns to the two listviews so each piece of information is covered by a column was very much critisized and we may end up in making a poll if that is useful or not, not even to speak of making it configurable (number of new mails, number of total mails for example, a threading column on the right pane as well as one separate for the status of the mail and using an icon for unread, read, w/attatchment w/o attatchment in the front of the subject line where the status is now displayed with bullets etc.) I think this is important as to make the users feel more comfortable and make kmail easier to use. It's not the speed that's bugging people often, it's the look and feel which I want to address. Any comments on this ? I think it should be consistent with knode which has separate columns (and one could argue why konqueror has separate columns as well in column mode btw if you want to stick with kmail's current behavoir) On other things we have agreed: inbox subfolder creation, drag'n drop of folders (just move them), import for netscape mail folders in kmailcvt needed (no-brainer, just needs renaming the foldes: Inbox->inbox etc, with the subfolder issue solved a move from netscape to kmail should be fairly trivial for all users) b) konqueror's show-hide hidden files function misses a refresh/rearrange icons after selecting hide hidden files, currently the place where the hidden files were displayed are staying empty, i.e. only the icons are removed. c) konqueror's previews cause assymetric column displays of icons. To see this, enable image preview and go to $KDEDIR/share/wallpapers/ to see what I mean. Sometimes you have 4 files in a row, sometimes 5. Should be all down to 4 so it's a gridview alignment again. I consider this to look very ugly, so if some preview expert could have a look into this ? :) d) one idea tha popped up this week with the sound preview is that it would be cool if you could select a bunch of files and then these are played in the order they are selected. Kinda internal media player without having to start a real media player. This would even make sense if I want to listen to a file but want to continue to work on another window, right now the sound preview stops right when I move the cursor away. Comments ? e) I found that playing windows avi files is actually possible with aviplay (see freshmeat) which stulle told me. It's using Qt 2.x already, maybe that can be used to be changed into a konqueror plugin ? aKtion is loading the complete file into memory which makes every machine cough on large video files. Any solution for KDE on video in sight ? f) danimo and wildfox will probably come over to me this weekend to work on the kpersonalizer in kdebase. Who hasn't tried it yet, it's intended to be started on the first login of the user to customize the desktop settings roughly (language, look and feel, feature enabling like icon stuff and antialiasing etc.) Whoever is interested to help, just drop me a mail. The kpersonalizer subdir already contains all abstract classes to implement the features of the QWizard's pages and there's a readme that can be followed to implement stuff. That's fairly all, mostly minor issues. Noatun finally works good now, at least here :) although David said there's a crash and he send Charles a fix. Charles, is that done or is there something wrong with it ? Another note for those not subscribed on kde-events on LinuxTag in Stuttgart, July 5th to 8th: Hackers joining are supposed to go to the RedHat office in Stuttgart which is one to two miles away and can be reached by the Underground easily - thanks to Bero for his offer. Provided are a conference room with network and power supply so feel free to come to the conference and to do your hacking there. We still need 3-4 large LCD monitors for the booth to attatch to the laptops we'll be using for the show, if someone knows some companies we could ask for either lending us some or (even better) donating them for the KDE booth equipment, feel free to drop me a mail with whom to ask. Have a nice weekend, happy coding and Frohe Pfingsten! :) Ralf -- KDE - Conquer your Desktop! -------------------------------------------------------------------- Ralf Nolden nolden@kde.org The K Desktop Environment The KDevelop Project http://www.kde.org http://www.kdevelop.org