On Wednesday 30 May 2001 17:33, Rob Kaper wrote: > On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 04:05:09PM +0200, David Faure wrote: > > I guess we could solve this by saying that kdesupport is for SOURCE users > > only, and that packagers should grab the original things, and *never* > > package kdesupport itself. > > > > Well, that's just like qt-copy. For source user's convenience only, not > > for packaging. I vote for going that way then. Ok for adding new libs to > > kdesupport, but forbidden to package them ;) > > Nice summary and I agree. Yes, /me as well, but not with you :-} > My proposal: > > We should change kdesupport in such a way that it only contains a README > and the source tarballs (perhaps extracted) and _no_ Makefile.cvs and all > that crap. ?!?? Why that? It is *much* easier to compile all at one with Makefile.cvs - and no, it's not really crap! We don't have anything better :} > kdesupport is _not_ to be compiled as a whole, it's a container for these > packages only. Alternatively, we keep them all in one location on the FTP > servers. I think most of us agree that we should remove > kdesupport-the-compilable-module but we want to continue providing the > sources of packages we depend on. No! I don't, I'd like to have it in cvs 'cause I *never* use ftp.kde.org. > I will change the configure.in.bot's messages to phrase something like > this: > > You do not have package X installed. It is required because it is used for > [task]. Please install X before continuing KDE compilation. If your > distribution does not provide a binary package for X then you can download > it from [homepage] and compile it yourself. The kdesupport package/ftpdir > provides a copy of the source tarballs of most packages for convenience. Well, this one seems to be rather ok :-) Ciao, Michael -- Some operating systems are called `user friendly', Linux however is `expert friendly'.