List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PLEASE don't ! (Re: kdesupport: let's get rid of it, now.)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-30 14:05:09

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 16:35, Michael Brade wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2001 16:22, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 04:02:38PM +0200, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > > ... It doesn't look like a hassle for you because you never really had to
> > > do it. Take my word for it, it *IS* one big fscking hassle.
> >
> > I am using bare Slackware and don't check out kdesupport to compile KDE.
> > It's still no hassle.
>
> So where's the problem with kdesupport?

The problem with kdesupport is that:
[taking coolo's voice for the first item...] :)

* it's a hell to maintain (someone needs to regularly check for updates,
we get bug reports about it when it doesn't compile.... etc.). This is really
someone else's code, it doesn't have much to do in our CVS.

* it conflicts with already installed libs. Ok, we could only install what isn't
there, but when happens when the system gets upgraded and new system
libs get installed ? Yes, they conflict with those coming from kdesupport.
I guess we could solve this by saying that kdesupport is for SOURCE users
only, and that packagers should grab the original things, and *never* package
kdesupport itself.
Well, that's just like qt-copy. For source user's convenience only, not for packaging.
I vote for going that way then. Ok for adding new libs to kdesupport, but forbidden
to package them ;)