On Wednesday 30 May 2001 16:22, Rob Kaper wrote: > On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 04:02:38PM +0200, Guillaume Laurent wrote: > > ... It doesn't look like a hassle for you because you never really had to > > do it. Take my word for it, it *IS* one big fscking hassle. > > I am using bare Slackware and don't check out kdesupport to compile KDE. > It's still no hassle. May be we have different definitions of "no hassle" :-). Don't take it the wrong way, but I think it is a hassle for you as well, although you just don't realize it. There is also the fact that the libs we depend on do not evolve quite a lot, so you don't have to upgrade them very often if at all. But for a new developer, having to download half a dozen libs from different places is a chore. > The problem is that many distributions already ship some (but not others) > of the stuff that used to be in kdesupport. Compiling and installing our > own included versions over those is usually exactly what creates the > dependency problems! Perhaps KDE will run smoothly, but other programs > won't anymore! Yes, that is a problem. The suggested solution to do like Qt and disable compilation of things which are already installed is quite good. > It is not the job of KDE to make sure you meet the requirements. It is our > job to inform you what those are as soon as possible, by having configure > report it and perhaps by automatically parsing the configure.in.bot files > and always have an up-to-date compile instructions page. But it is KDE's job to be as easy to enter as possible. And kdesupport goes a very long way in this direction. -- Guillaume http://www.telegraph-road.org