List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    PLEASE don't ! (Re: kdesupport: let's get rid of it, now.)
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-05-30 14:02:38

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 15:28, Matthias Elter wrote:

> But lets be consistent, we don't ship libxml2 but depend on it. So either
> import a copy of libxml2 to kdesupport or get rid of kdesupport.

Put libxml2 in kdesupport, IMHO.

> IMHO we should get rid of kdesupport, we don't depend on _that_ many
> libraries.

But you have no guarantee that it will stay the same in the future.

When I switched to KDE, kdesupport was a good surprise for me. No more
endless hunting of barely known libs, instead I had one single point where to
download things from. How refreshing that was.

It's much easier for a developer to "get *" from a single ftp directory than
to scan through a list of URLs, some being down, some being obsolete, some
being overloaded, some pointing to the products homepage and then you have to
hunt down the download page, etc... and in the end you have no guarantee that
you actually got the right version. It doesn't look like a hassle for you
because you never really had to do it. Take my word for it, it *IS* one big
fscking hassle.

I was already annoyed to discover that all of a sudden I had to get libxml2.
Given that it's only for help files, I didn't even bother.

kdesupport simply solves all this. Get the right versions of all the
auxiliary libs you need in one time. You also make sure that no developer
will "accidentally" use a different version of one of these libs, and when a
new lib is needed you make it easier for everyone to know and get it : just
upgrade KDE support. People who simply blindly upgrade every component
regularly might not even notice.

Really, I've experienced what the opposite is like for 3 years, I can't
stress too strongly how huge a blunder it would be to get rid of kdesupport.

--
Guillaume
http://www.telegraph-road.org