On Tuesday 29 May 2001 11:50, Michael Matz wrote: > Hi, > > On Tue, 29 May 2001, Waldo Bastian wrote: > > > I never got around at > > > implementing this thing last year, cause I wasn't able to convinve > > > myself, that the number of reduced relocation really would be worth it. > > > > I predict that it will not influence the number of relocations :-] > > Well, I wasn't _that_ pessimistic ;) There _are_ private methods and > classes which are for internal purposes, and these can be hidden > alltogether. Esp. in KLM's representing whole applications most > classes/methods are "internal". If these symbols are made DSO-local ld > can bind references to them at link time, which reduces the number of > symbol-based relocations quite a bit, so KLM loading could be even faster. If they are non-virtual they currently result in a R_386_JUMP_SLOT relocation which is being relocated lazy anyway. If they are virtual they are unlikely to be private, and even if they are and not exported I doubt that gcc will create an entry other than R_386_32 for them. (That would be interesting to know though) Cheers, Waldo -- bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com