List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: exporting symbols (was Re: The goodness of goodness)
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-05-29 12:06:44

On Tuesday 29 May 2001 13:15, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 29 May 2001, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > All we can do is try it. such a parser can't be too difficult. should we
> > start with kdoc or with dcopidl ? :)
>
> I wanted to originally base it on dcopidl to accept something like this
> syntax:
>
> class KDE_PRIVATE MyClass:public BaseClass,private PClass {
> };
>
> to make all symbols resulting from class MyClass non-public;

Shouldn't that rather be the other way round:

 class K_EXPORT MyClass ... {
 }

?

when you want to export the class? Similar

 K_EXPORT void some_function_that_gets_imported();

A bit more work at the beginning, but the missing K_EXPORTs are easy to find
and we'll end up with the narrowest positive list possible. This is also what
programmers (including Trolltech) typically do on MS-Windows.

Matthias