List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdeinit and PATH?
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-05-27 19:53:07

Dne so 26. květen 2001 00:51 Kurt Granroth napsal(a):
> So thanks to a patch, I have converted KBiff to be a kdeinit module.
> It works great.. except for one thing: you can no longer start up the
> mail client (or any executable) from the shell.  I switched to using
> KRun::runCommand() to get more debug output and sure enough, it just
> doesn't use the PATH to look for executables.

 I had been using KBiff with the patch for some time before I sent it to you,
and it works fine here ( KBiff 3.4 , recent kdelibs ). I don't know what you
mean by 'from the shell', but I have 'kmail' as the mail client and when I
click kbiff, it starts KMail, if I put 'kedit' as command to run when there's
new mail, it starts KEdit on new mail.

> Now if you run KBiff from the command line (no kdeinit), then the PATH
> *is* taken into account.

 The only difference between apps started from command line and those started
using kdeinit is that the kdeinit started ones use kdeinit's environment (
and parent process and output ). At least this should be the only difference.
Try using 'kshell kbiff' or 'kwrapper kbiff' for testing, they should start
kbiff using kdeinit and make it use the shell's environment.

> I think that the culprit is KShellProcess.. but could be wrong.
>
> Is this a design decision?  I am *vaguely* remembering some discussion
> on using specific shells or the like but I don't know if that's
> related.  Any clues?

 Lubos Lunak
--
 l.lunak@email.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org