List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: New functionality for kcontrol mouse settings
From:       Hans Meine <hans_meine () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-05-20 20:51:42

David Faure <david@mandrakesoft.com> writes:
> Can someone look at this ?
> I'm leaving for Brussels imminently (be back tomorrow late evening).

I tested it, attached is a patch to current CVS (ps2.[h|cpp] not
duplicated), a little easier to read now.

I am not sure yet what it does - it does not seem to me as if it was
ready to be included in KDE (yet?).

- You have to give users access to /dev/psaux

- Even then, it does not seem to work here (XFree 4.0.3, at least not
  by simply pressing "Apply" as the explanation suggests)

It gives you a config dialog with the following options:

[X] I'm using a PS/2 mouse           { default off }

PS2 Sample Rate (samples/second)     { slider range 10..200, default "60" }

Resolution (counts/mm)               { slider 1..8, def. "8" }

[X] PS/2 mouse scaling 2:1           { default on }

PS2 Mouse Device                     { lineedit "/dev/psaux" }

With this tab you can setup the PS/2 mouse directly, which will
usually give a very smooth mouse behaviour in X-windows. Note that
by accessing the mouse device directly, bypassing X-windows, one
can expect a little bit of a mouse problem when applying the
settings of this tab. Just move the mouse a little bit around and
do some clicking. The mouse pointer will start behaving correctly
again after a short time.

> Subject: New functionality for kcontrol mouse settings
> Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:33:19 +0000
> From: Hans Dijkema <h.dijkema@hum.org>
> To: faure@kde.org
>

> Dear David,
>
> I've added some new functionality to the KDE2.1.1 kcontrol/input
> section. Especially for PS/2 mice. It gives great PS/2 behaviour
> under X-windows.
>
> Can you try it? If you use it, disable the X-windows acceleration when
> you're using 2:1 scaling.
>
> Best regards,
> Hans Dijkema

Ciao,  /  /
      /--/
     /  / ANS                          .,* Hamburg, Germany *,.