List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: taskbar grouping, off by default please.
From:       Harri Porten <porten () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-05-16 14:10:49

On Wed, 16 May 2001, David Faure wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 May 2001 15:15, Matthias Elter wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 May 2001 14:51, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> >
> > Discussion closed, it will remain the default for Beta 1 to get more user
> > feedback. Up to now I have not received any real complaints about this
> > feature. Only one user who did not like it was unable to find the
> > configuration option to turn it off.

Was that me. If not, please count me in although I didn't search too hard
for the config option myself.

> But I don't feel religious about this
> > feature. The implementation was motivated by popular request. People were
> > asking for task grouping. If it turns out that it confuses more users than it
> > makes happy it will be off by default in KDE 2.2 final.
>
> Sorry to give my voice after you say the discussion is closed ...
> But I'd like to point that it's not only all or nothing.
> What emerged from the discussion is also that with few windows
> grouping sucks (if I have only two konsoles why shouldn't they be
> two separate buttons), and that with many windows, it helps sorting things.

I agree. And that's why the first impression is a bad done rather than
"showing off" a new feature. As with all the other gimmicks turned on by
default we risk looking worse and getting bad reviews (in terms of
usability and speed). Blending effects would be an example.

A solution might be to revive the startup wizard that would have options
like "cool" vs. "fast". Matthias Ettr. brought this up yesterday.

Harri.