List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: taskbar grouping, off by default please.
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-16 12:51:09

"F@lk Brettschneider" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Waldo Bastian wrote:

> That grouping is very bad for KDevelop's Toplevel mode. I cannot easily
> switch between views of that application any more. Please, don't let it
> be the default.
The toplevel mode is not the default either :-)
BTW this feature was exactly thought for people that use apps with this
behavoir like Gimp. Gimp is one of the most widely used apps on Linux
and this will stay this way for the user. We're all talking from the
*Developers* point of view here, but not from the users. We should
accept that the users have different preferences and that we as
developers like it *different* which requires US to deselect features,
not all users IMHO. This is selfish if we all claim "let's put this off
by default because I can't handle it". We'll end of that we can do
everything but nobody's using it because we put it off by default.
Please follow tackat's suggestion to leave it on to see if we get
complaints by the users.

And, claiming that windows users should stick with windows *DOES
DEFINETLY NOT* help the discussion, in fact, NO discussion. Yesterday I
have attended a business show in Frankfurt where one of the questions
was: "How good can you emulate the behavoir of Windows 2000 ?". This is
kind of crucial to select which environment you want to have and how to
behave, so I think we'll have that selection dialog like we had before
2.0 was released again. I just wonder if we could get that aqua theme
from kde.themes.org into KDE to allow a complete MacOS look.

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden@kde.org