List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What's the deal with kdedb?
From:       Alessandro Praduroux <pradu () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2001-05-16 8:17:46

There are 2 things that must be considered IMHO

1 - KDEDB core libraries (kdbcore and kdbui)
2 - apps in kde using the actual KDEDB libraries

For the libs, probably the best bet is using the QT ones, provided that they
have the same feature list ( one thing that comes to mind is the meta
information about the database, that is in kdedb but I dunno if it's in QT)

the apps (actually only the ioslave, IIRC, and a small test app that is in
kdenonbeta) can be rewritten if we go for the qt library, there's not a big
installed base for now.

but Alex is right, NOW is the moment to decide to keep kdedb or to drop it
and wait for QT3/KDE3.

One thing that must be considered in this discussion is that I have a very
limited time now, and if we want to keep KDEDB we must find a new mantainer
for it, 'cause if we put it in KDE2.2, we will get bug reports from
programmers and someone must take care of it. I can help of course, but I
don't think I can do it 'full time' now.

Opinions?

--

Pradu

pradu@thekompany.com