List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: klegacyimport -> gtkimport
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-15 20:07:07

On Tuesday 15 May 2001 21:50, Richard Moore wrote:
> Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> >
> > Moin!
> >
> > Due to the recent discussion, I looked into the klegacyimport
> > code and found that is not a generic importer but one
> > specific to gtk pixmap theme import.
> >
> > In order to not disgust users of both worlds and giving it a
> > correct description, I'd vote for renaming it to kgtkimport.
>
> I'd rather see the name remain as it is. I don't think we want
> to encourage this tool to be used, we would rather see native
> KDE themes. The existing name correctly implies this.

Yes, we want to encourage KDE themes, but calling competition
"legacy" isn't a really nice thing to do. It's even quite brutal.
If I don't misunderstand the meaning of legacy, it's like calling gtk
outdated and obsolete.

> The description is already correct, though calling it kgtkimport
> would be a little more precise.

kgtkimport is shall be then :)

> > I already did all necessary changes locally, I would just need
> > to commit them.
> >
> > Mosfet stated that the name was agreed on in Trysil.
> > However, I think we shouldn't destroy our ongoing coorperation
> > efforts with issues like this one. Many users complained about the
> > name.
>
> Not many IMHO, in fact I've only heard a few complaints and those
> were from people who would bash KDE whatever we do. I don't think
> this will have any effect on cooperation anyway.

It can only have a negative effect, so let's avoid that.