List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: TLS default enabled/disabled?
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-15 17:23:21

On Tuesday 15 May 2001 13:12, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2001 18:41, George Staikos wrote:
> > Should TLS be enabled or disabled by default in 2.2?  I have removed TLS
> > support from HTTP for now until I see something concrete and not just a
> > single site that needs it.  There is a new checkbox in it's place which
> > enables TLS support on all slaves which use TLS.  Right now this is SMTP
> > and POP3.  Soon it will be IMAP too.   What the slave does is check the
> > capability of the server when it logs in, and checks the capabilities of
> > KSSL and the state of that checkbox.  If all is good, it automatically
> > enables TLS before logging in.  I have not yet finished the certificate
> > checking code.
>
> George - how about using a bit less acronyms. They might be obvious for
> you, but if you look at your upper case letter use you might find it's
> above the usual english rate :)
> OK, let me put it this way: what's TLS?

   Oh sorry :)   Hahahah I didn't even realise.   Transport Level Security -
it's a new release of the SSL protocol which gets enabled after the network
connection occurs.  For instance, with pop3:

You open a socket and get thebanner with a regular socket. Then you issue:

STLS\n

and you start TLS, something similar to SSL.  Then you do your login and your
mail transfer.  It's much more transparent than SSL (but harder to "get
right").

--

George Staikos