List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Fwd: Font Installer
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-15 11:28:51

Subject: Font Installer
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 11:05:40 +0100
From: Craig Drummond <cpdrummond@freeuk.com>
To: kde-devel@kde.org

Hi,

I've managed to compile my Font Installer as a KControl module -
however I have a few questions:

1) How can I get a function called immediately *after* the module is
displayed? Basically I don't want to start scanning for fonts until
after the GUI is displayed - because I can then show some progress
indication. Is there some method I can override that will get called
after the GUI is visible on screen - but before any user envents can
be sent?

3) The module needs to be run as root - so I added
"X-KDE-RootOnly=true" to the desktop file. However, when I do this
the KControl window does not resize when the module is loaded - i.e.
some widgets are cut off. This does not happen if I don't use the
"RootOnly" setting. (I've noticed that this happens to some other
KControl modules as well - is there anyway to overcome this?)

3) I've placed the KControl entry into System/Font Installer - is
this a reasonable location?

4) I'm trying to write the "./configure" stuff so that it will check
for FreeType2. The problem is that I don't know much about the
./configure scripts, and don't know how to use the
"--with-extra-libs" argument. To check for the presence of the
FreeType2 library I'm using:
AC_CHECK_LIB(freetype,main,FREETYPE_LIB="-lfreetype",
FREETYPE_LIB="NO")
How can I get this to use --with-extra-libs ?

5) I'm not sure how the program will handle Type1 symbol fonts - as
I don't have any to test with. Could someone pease email me a
couple? (If so, could you use my work email address of
craig.drummond@teleca.com)

Once I've fixed the above I should have the initial version ready.

After this first version I intend to add stuff to add/delete/disable
folders in the X11 folder - as well as configuring XRender. On the
subject of XRender, someone sent me an email last Friday with
regards to helping with XftConfig stuff. Unfortunately I mistakenly
deleted the email - so if you're reading this, then please resend
the email.

Thanks

Craig.