List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n of icons
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-08 23:34:08

David Faure wrote:

> You are wrong about that.
> MS Word in France is definitely "Ctrl+G for bold" (since it's called "gras").
> I was very much confused the first time I used a word processor which
> had Ctrl+B for bold - not knowing it was called bold in English, at the time.
> And the icon shows a 'G' too, as well.
>
> I agree with the support issue, but from a user point of view, someone
> who always used MSWord will expect the same shortcut :}

In france, definetly. French are known to be very french-centric :-)) I
once heared from a german correspondent that has been in Paris for a
long time that the french are so french-centric about their language
that they invent new words for all english words that are coming to them
through technology, so this might be the reason for the french MS
department to translate and change even icons and shortcuts...Jesus !
:-)

Anyway, in that case the germans are well off. They're used to the
english shortcuts and original icons, so less work to do. Hmm...which
could also be interpreted as having free resources to paint french icons
LOL !

Cheers,

Ralf

--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden@kde.org