List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    OT: Re: i18n of icons
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2001-05-08 22:29:29

On Dienstag, 8. Mai 2001 23:01, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> With even plugin-_names_ being translated in current cvs we are quite near
> to stuff  like "Wort für Fenster" (use your favourite babelfish to
> translate that from german to english), i.e. where translation goes too
> far.
Do you mean like Noatun's "Young Hickory" plugin, which has been translated
to "Junger Hickory-Nussbaum" - correct translation, but makes absolutely no
sense - in the plugin list and "Junge Eiche" - wrong translation which makes
no sense - in the configure dialog's tree view? :)

<rant>
I fully agree to translate names like "Text Editor" etc. but when it comes to
fancy names, please please please, translators, stay clear of them. Maybe
it's also a mistake of the author to use i18n() for them in the first place,
but then maybe there is a language in which (to stick with the example)
"Young Hickory" means something rude, and where a translation or rather
substitution is wanted for once. Also, there seems to be no way to keep some
fields in .desktop files from being translated.
</rant>

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the work all the translators are doing.
But please refrain from translating non-descriptive
program/plugin/module-names unless absolutely neccessary.
-Malte
--
Wars don't determine who's right, only who's left.