List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesktop wait cursor
From:       Scott Manson <Maniac () Alltel ! net>
Date:       2001-05-08 15:12:36

On Tuesday 08 May 2001 08:43 am, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > Still gnome can do it (they have an application which makes it possible
> > > to choose between three ways to indicate the launch of an application.
> >
> >  Stupid me. It's easy, they must be simply creating a new borderless
> > window containing only a look-like-busycursor pixmap. But as I said, this
> > changes the cursor for everything.
>
> Please do that, if possible this week so it can go with the new beta if
> it works. This *is* crucial and the preferred way is to have a combined
> cursor that contains a pointer and an hourglass, then it doesn't block
> the application in the background with a complete hourglass cursor and
> the user can still click and work even if the new app is starting.
> Please also don't forget one cursor for the "big cursor" feature for the
> visually impaired people, but that can wait one week more if it's not
> done in this week :-)
But let me play devils advocate here
Linux is a multi-tasking OS so starting an application the
box/machine/desktop is not really in a "busy" state I can
start a konsole and then start kmail or other program. If the mouse icon
turns to a busy icon; that to me means that the machine is busy and I have to
wait till the OS is ready for more input.

I also dislike the notion of sound alerts;  a sound alert should be used to
get your attention for something that requires more information.

As to the way we do it now it seems that the complaints are that the spinning
icon is not enough of a visual clue as to what is going on. How about making
the spinning icon a constrasting color that would call attention to itself
along with the animation.

--
Maniac@alltel.net 40° 37' 9" N, 96° 57' 24" W
A single tasking guy in multi tasking world