List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Another binary compatibility question
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-05-07 18:40:00

Dne po 7. květen 2001 20:14 Ralf Nolden napsal(a):
> Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> > On Monday 07 May 2001 19:45, mosfet wrote:
> > > We haven't had one of these questions for awhile, so I figure I'll ask
> > > one ;-)
> > >
> > > I know you can't add new virtual methods. Can you add a new
> > > reimplementation of a virtual method in a base class you haven't
> > > implemented before?
> >
> > Yes, but you can't rely that it will be called.
> >
> > --
> > Reggie (reggie@trolltech.com)
>
> Can someone with extreme knowledge about binary compatibility can set up
> a page on developer.kde.org about that ? this will be of importance to

 Could it be you're talking about this ( it's a bit difficult to find it ) ?
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/kde2arch/devel-binarycompatibility.html

 It's lists things you can do, you can't do, and two ways how to add new data
members without breaking BC ( private data pointer and pointer dictionary ).
And as I noted in other reply, if it would be worth the mess, I think I know
how to add new or change existing methods to work like virtual without
breaking BC.

> application developers as well and become more important with KDE 3
> because by then we should have our API so consistent that it doesn't
> need major changes and the 3.0 API can be used always by software
> vendors even with new KDE 3.x versions.
>
> Ralf

 Lubos Lunak
--